A treat?


Today I felt normal.

I attempted to have black beans with quinoa and smashed avocados for breakfast, and I couldn't even finish the dish I had prepared for myself.

Given that I had gone 4 days without any kind of cookie, cake, or chocolate, I decided I needed a treat. I went to Divine Cupcake, famous for their all-organic and vegan cupcakes, and had myself an Island Chocolate cupcake, which is chocolate cake, with chocolate buttercream rolled in coconut. Bliss! (And yes, I'm positive it's vegan, but you can see for yourself.)

For dinner, I decided to relax and take the time to cook a really nice meal for myself. After a stop at the Asian Market and Market of Choice, I was ready to make a Thai Curry dish from scratch. I absolutely love the taste of coconut milk, combined with lemongrass, lime leaves, garangal, and red curry. It is truly a symphony of flavors. See the full recipe here.

I left out the tofu, even though the recipe called for it. When I started out as a vegan, I made a promise to avoid soy products as much as possible, as I believe they are unhealthy. Sure, they are a rich source of protein, but I would like to make the effort and get my protein from more natural sources, such as regular beans and some whole grains.

I still have not made up my mind if, as a vegan, I should eat fish and seafood. So far, I am inclined to think I should not. I think my idea of vegan, in part, is not to eat anything that has a face. Fish definitely have a face. But what about seafood? What kind of beings are they? I tend to think that scallops and mussels, for examples, are not beings. But, as I said, I have yet to decide about this. I did eat shrimp with my curry tonight.

I also bought a complex of Iron, Vitamin C and some minerals today -- I think it might help with the fatigue.



I know many people eager to lecture me on the importance of soy in   my diet as a vegan, or the importance of starting the day with a handful of pills, also known as vitamins, in order to "supplement" the  absence of meat, eggs, and cheese. But I have decided on a different approach: instead of assuming what my body needs, I'll let my body tell me what it needs. I believe wherever there are minuses in my body, those organs will send impulses to my brain and I will crave just the right thing to have in order to supply that need. So far, I decided on Iron because I have felt somewhat anemic at times, and Vitamin C facilitates the absorption of Iron. Plus, Vitamin C is always good for immunity, especially when you're dealing with allergies, like I am.

3 comments:

lele said...

Hi Sab,
I have a lot of close friends working on marine conservation and sustainability issues. After talking to them, it is hard to imagine eating anything from the sea since most seafood practices catch are causing terrible marine ecosystem collapses around the world. I've not done a ton of research into it myself since, as you know I've never been interested in meat or seafood, but I thought you might be interested in looking into what types of seafood a person concerned about the well-being of our planet could in good consciousness eat. I'd love to see a blog post on it to :)(http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_sustainable_seafoods.htm) this is an interesting start to finding more sustainable seafood.

Sabina said...

Lele! So happy to see you here! :)

Since I wrote that post, I did change my mind about seafood. In this book I'm reading, "Eating Animals," I got a glimpse of some of the practices used to catch seafood and I was appalled. Thank you for that link... I'd definitely love to write about this, even though I'm not a qualified person to speak about it. :)

lele said...

I think it is amazing that you are doing this. Very courageous!! Of course, I also love that I get to hear about your life through this blog.

Post a Comment