I'm hungry!


Upon waking up on day 3, there was no doubt to how I was feeling: HUNGRY!

I didn't have to think much about what I have to eat -- my body had needs and it was sending ideas to my head, apparently. I woke up with a craving for quinoa, steamed carrots (did you know that cooked carrots have a higher content of beta-carotene than fresh ones? Some say that boiling carrots before slicing them increases their anti-cancer properties by 25%!), cooked Red Swiss Chard, served with mashed eggplant (Baba Ghanoush) and pine-nuts. I cooked the Swiss Chard in a stir-fry pan, but I used water, instead of oil -- it turned out great.

But 5 minutes later... I was hungry. So I had a serving of raw almonds and a Kiwi. That did it... for about an hour. Then I had another one of those berry-banana-coconut-milk smoothie, and a snack of Arabic Bread and Baba Ghanoush. Felt a little better.

By dinner time, I was ready to eat a LOT. So I made some vegan burgers (like this, minus the cheese, mayo and arugula) consisting of grilled portobello mushrooms, whole wheat bread, pickled roasted red peppers, and a green salad on the side. Now I was full.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Portabello mushroom burgers taste awesome, are easy to make, and are good for you. They are an even better replacement for hamburgers than veggie burgers are.

They have awesome ones at the diner a couple blocks down, so I can make them or get them already made. Life is good.

I want to set up a year round mushroom garden so I can have all the mushrooms I can eat without having to pay the often prohibitive prices of mushrooms from stores.

Unknown said...

!!!!
I was just about to post a pic of the portabello mushroom burgers I make! I have one of the best recipes around :-) stay tuned.... I'll post it soon! I friggin' LOVE musrooms... I eat them. every. day. I think chantrelles are in season right now :) Spendy... but hey, I can afford it now that I save on meat and cheese!

Post a Comment