Talk and stuff


In the last week, I've struggled.
I've struggled with skepticism {"It's absurd to think you can meet your nutritional needs by eating just... what, leaves? Grass? Is that what you eat as a vegan?"}
I've struggled with ignorance  {"Vegan is so unhealthy! You will perish."}
I've struggled with being put down {"What you are doing with this diet... is nothing."}
I've struggled with eyebrow-raising humor {a co-worker held up a milk container and attempted to use it on me as one might use a cross to scare off the Devil.}

And by "struggle," I mean I listened to what some people had to say when they heard I have become Vegan... and had to empathize with what they were feeling without taking it personally. {I even encouraged them to elaborate on some of these feelings, even though sometimes I wanted to just stomp my feet and fight them back.} I can't possibly imagine that these reactions had anything to do with me, considering they didn't ask me why I'm doing it or how I'm feeling -- they told me what I should think, feel, or be now that I'm Vegan. There was a sense of panic and unrest, followed by, "well, I could never do that." And I got the feeling that they were attacked to hear that I can. But once they got their initial testiness out of the way, people had a lot to say about their diets. It turns out, people care.
And we talked.

Finding out how some people really feel about their food has been just as eye-opening to me as learning that some chocolate is vegan. They might not follow through with their promises to eat more fresh food and get their exercise in, but people care. Many were wondering the same things as I:
Do the animals we breed to eat have any other purpose in their own lives? Why do we need milk anyway? How should meat be cooked in order to prevent disease? Where do intestinal worms come from if we live in such an obsessively-sanitized country?
Talk is good. It makes people think. Become aware. And ask questions. And make suggestions. It makes more people join in the conversation.
In the last week, I've received book suggestions, film references, follow-up calls. Some even took it upon themselves to bring me in person a book that they thought I should read. When I had dinner with friends, we talked about the food we were having, why we were having it, and how it made us feel. When I was hanging out at Divine Cupcake with Natalie and we were talking about how sugar is made, the owner of the place overheard and joined in the conversation, and explained why they use More Fiber Baking Blend, powdered erythritol, or agave syrup instead of sugar. We talked until close... and we were mere strangers until we shook hands and exchanged our names at the end.
Though it may seem nothing, talk can be the driving force of change. It's a step up from thinking. Action is needed, too, but saying is only one step away from doing.
So talk to me! Was there ever a breakthrough in your diet or mentality when it comes to food? If you could change something about your meals, what would it be? Are you happy with your diet?

As for these pictures.. they're made by Carl Warner and represent, as you can see, creative landscapes where the scenario is made of food. Looking at all this, do you still think I will starve? :) Check out Carl's Web site (Flash needed) for more inspiring art!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have run into similar defensiveness. I think the image that a lot of people have of vegans is of some crusading zealot, bent on forcing everybody to become vegan. That or they feel that with veganism comes a smug sense of superiority.

The belief is understandable as I have run into both real vegans and media stereotypes that reinforce this negative view.

In my mind, there is a similar sort of thing associated with feminism. Because of certain vocal and hostile figures in the movement and because of the stereotypes arising therefrom, many people that I've talked to are uncomfortable if they know someone is a feminist.

Who wants to be looked down on or even attacked? No one. And when the only interaction people have with veganism or feminism is with hostile outspoken followers of these ideas or with a generalized version of them it's to be expected that they are not going to welcome representatives with open-minds.

Please keep being the vegan you are being and I think you can help ameliorate some of the negativity associated with veganism.

You rock.

Chica Canela said...

Here I am, sucked into your blog by those tantalizing photographs- can I please just crawl into THAT world? But also, I wanted to offer you some positive feedback for the week.

First off, committing to any alternative lifestyle demands a balance of patience, perseverance and knowledge that sometimes borders on martyrdom. Being different is HARD. Mostly because people use you as a platform to express their ideas about your "decision." This is utter bullshit, but unfortunately that's what happens too often: you lose your own identity as a person and are reduced to a position. In many cases this "decision" is not even voluntary (homosexuality, for example) but people will try to convince you that it is...and that you are wrong.

I like to think that i know you pretty well. I have always considered you to be different than many people in my life (aren't we all?) in a way that makes you both beautiful and mysterious. I have always been happy when you actively embrace these differences. Maybe this particular decision to become vegan will help enable you to better clarify and vocalize why being different is good for you, me and the rest of the planet. Good luck and fortitude for your journey ahead- I know you are more than capable and compassionate: a winning combo!

ditto jordan. You rock. con un abrazo de argentina-

j

Sabina said...

Thank you for making my day with your comments! It's definitely helpful to hear that more patience is needed and I didn't expect to be told that. I like being patient :)

@Jordan: You said it better than I could find words to say it: "They feel that with veganism comes a smug sense of superiority. " And I agree about the feminism stereotype -- it is HUGE and so strongly embedded in people's minds... that sometimes I hear someone react with, "uhh, no, thanks, I'm not a crazy feminist!" but then they're not willing to elaborate on what that means or why they think that is a feminist belief. :)

@Chica Canela: I hadn't thought of that before, but I realize you're right, "you lose your own identity as a person and are reduced to a position." This has definitely been an interesting and unique experience... and to imagine that, at first, I thought I'm simply taking on a new diet : )

Mai said...

I love the pictures and really appreciate your honest reflections about being vegan. I was a vegetarian for many years, and faced criticism (blatant and subtle) as well. Because I was a young person, people thought it was "just a phase." Since I'm not a vegetarian anymore, I guess they were right, but don't let people discourage you. Even if it doesn't last forever, it doesn't mean the experience isn't worthwhile. We try new things to see, and not because we know, the outcome... So keep going, and best of luck! I'm glad you feel healthier already.

Sabina said...

Thank you for your kind and beautiful words, Mai! It's really nice to hear from you. I love hearing about people's experiences, just like you described yours, because it inspires me and helps put things into perspective.
PS: Your blog is amazing -- you take such beautiful pictures... and I know that's tough to do when the subject is... food. :) Food doesn't really know how to look at the camera and smile, you know?

Lindsey said...

Keep at it Sabina! Almost 10 years of being a vegetarian and my family and friends still think I eat chicken. They still ask why I don't eat meat. I've stopped trying to give lengthy answers to explain myself. Most people are so out of touch with the food they put in their bodies.

I think for being so new to all of this, you're doing fantastic! I'm going to try some of your recipes out on Matt and the kids. I already have them eating Morning Star crumbles and bacon. It's all about the baby steps. :)

Post a Comment